Friday 16 June 2023

'A shiny ghost stops me at the edge'

Jennifer Caroline Campbell has a poetic response to Lotus Laurie Kang's artworks in a show at the Chisenhale Gallery. 


Photos Jennifer Caroline Campbell



Lotus Laurie Kang's multidisciplinary practice lets the process lead the way forward. Her work utilises a fine-tuned sensitivity to materials and their liveliness. The work often carries on developing beyond the conventional finishing point, and so, just like us, it is in a state of perpetual becoming. Her current installation at Chisenhale Gallery, In Cascades, is her first institutional solo exhibition in Europe, and I hope it is the first of many. Here is my response to it:

 

Slow sun bathing through glass panes. 

Writhing shapes in the sand.

My body moves the air, nudging the glossy slithers that hang from a perforated, gleaming grid. 

Thin slices of remembered light, still forming. 

A sunset in a darkroom, repeated. 

I might fall into the seams, like the silver bits. 

Lined up twists of kelp, anchovies and cabbage. 

I keep moving, looping.

A shiny ghost stops me at the edge. 

Two rigid mice, clinging and gone. 

Or a mirrored twin. 

I turn back in like a ball bearing.

My reflection licks just above the floor. 

Edges breaking. 

Small hard spheres hug through a slippery surface, gripping and ready to let go of the curling film. 

 


Jennifer Caroline Campbell

June 2023



 

Lotus Laurie Kang, In Cascades 

Chisenhale Gallery, London E3 

2 June – 30 July 2023



No comments:

Post a Comment